Sunday, June 12, 2011

My Goddess...

Im speaking of Lakshmi, my matroness. This is where Id post a picture if my husband hadnt have done something to our computer and now I cant get photobucket or the like to let me do so LOL.

She is the Hindu goddess of wealth, prosperity, good fortune, generosity, courage and so on. She's believed to be the embodiment of grace and beauty as well and she protects her followers from misery and money-related icks. She is Vishnu's consort/wife and is known as a source of strength to many as well as, its said, she is the embodiment of love by which you can reach God(Vishnu).
She is also closely associated with the lotus flower(which is beautiful btw) which symbolizes purity of mind, body, soul.

I have her statue on my altar and every morning I see her smile and it makes me feel a titch better. Im not the greatest at honoring her daily as I should. I want to do a simple daily devotion when I get up I just forget and then my boys wake up and all hell breaks loose cuz they dont know the meaning of quiet or whispering(Im sure all my parent buddies know what I mean).

When I first started my journey I didnt have a matroness or patron deity, I just spoke and did rituals and such in a general sense. I had it in the back of my head that if I was to have a main deity that they'd let me know in time.

I meditated a couple of times about it and just always had it there in the back of my mind, simmering I suppose you could say.

I kind of expected my deity to be from the Greek or Egyptian pantheons because those are cultures Ive long been interested and intrigued by. But no, I was meant to learn more about Hinduism and apply it to my life as part of my spirituality.

This is how she made herself known to me:

Remember, I said I had meditated and asked for signs and such when it came to who I was connected with and always had that in the back of my head. So I kept my radars out and went on with life. One day my husband had on an old Kolchak show and one of the scenes had the bad guy running in front of a restaurant...it was called Lakshmi. I thought it was odd but it hummed in my head so I looked up what that word meant. It was at this point it sort of stuck in my head and I began seeing her name everywhere, it was the weirdest thing. Id be flipping a page in a newspaper and her name would be there, it would be heard on the tv for no real reason...she wasnt even the main topic but her name was there somehow.

I knew in my soul and heart it was her calling to me, telling me we were connected and I needed to learn more and that she'd be here for me.

I realize that might sound odd to some or silly to others but there is no denying what I felt deep within my soul.
Funny thing is she is the Goddess of fortune and wealth and at the time we were searching for new work and such and so another connection was found as to why she came into my world. Even now she fits into our home with all thats going on in it. I just need to do better at giving her some honor in my daily life and strengthening our connection and that spark of Divinity that lies within myself.

So anywho...that is my Goddess and the story of how she came into my life. I never had a strong connection to a God until last year when I realized it just made sense to honor her consort, Vishnu, as my God. Why seperate them? kwim...and the more I thought that way the stronger the "thats right" feeling was. So one day soon I hope to get the matching statue of him to place next to her on our altar.


ttfn...
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment